With advanced surgical techniques and cutting-edge technology, modern plastic surgery procedures have become incredibly safe and effective. Plastic surgery as we know it today encompasses a wide range of procedures designed to reshape your face and body in order to improve your appearance and self-esteem.
While many people associate the term 'plastic surgery' with the use of man-made materials, its name is actually derived from 'plastikos,' a Greek word meaning 'to mold' or 'to give form'. In fact, the term itself predates the engineering of modern plastic by 70 years.
A brief historical timeline reveals the history of some of the most common plastic surgery procedures we use today:
- 1895: Surgeons perform the first documented breast augmentation.
- 1899: Beeswax, paraffin and vegetable oil become the first injectable breast implant materials.
- 1910 - 1919: Plastic surgery training facilities are established and surgical techniques for the face are pioneered.
- 1962: The first silicone breast implant is revealed.
- 1982: After years of legalization in Europe, U.S. patients are finally offered liposuction.
- 2000-2009: The introduction of body contouring assists the removal and tightening of excess skin after massive weight loss.
Today, with years of training and experience, Dr. Bottger is pleased to offer our patients some of the safest and most effective procedures the field of plastic surgery has ever seen.
To learn more about plastic surgery and how it can improve your self-image, contact Dr. David. A Bottger, M.D. at 610-355-1929 to schedule a personal consultation with our Philadelphia plastic surgeon today.