The decision to finally start the journey towards achieving the look you desire can be equal parts exciting and nerve-racking. Cosmetic surgery is a major decision that has the potential to be very rewarding, but your results largely depend on the ability of your plastic surgeon to interpret what you envision for the outcome and make it a reality. With that in mind, we’ve put together a list of tips to help you understand what to look for in a cosmetic surgeon:
- Board certified, or bust. A superior level of training and experience is often communicated through accreditation by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). When your plastic surgeon is board certified, you can find comfort in knowing he or she has been vetted and tested by one of the most respected medical specialty boards in the nation.
- Check out their credentials. Along with their accreditation status, research your prospective surgeon’s professional memberships, hospital affiliations, and recognitions. Active participation in national organizations like the ABPS, as well as employment with local hospitals, can convey the ability to stay up-to-date with best practices in plastic surgery.
- Read online reviews. Learn about the experiences of previous patients to assess his or her reputation and satisfaction rates.
- Look at before-and-after photos of similar patients who have undergone your procedure of interest. Try to assess whether the results achieved align with your expectations and hopes for the outcome.
- Trust your gut! Meet with a potential plastic surgeon to make sure you feel comfortable and confident in their care. This can be the most important aspect of the research process.
Choosing a plastic surgeon can seem daunting, but be sure to take as much time as you need in meeting with different plastic surgeons until you find someone who you fully trust with your health, safety, and appearance. For more information about Dr. Bottger or the many plastic surgery services we offer, please contact our practice today.