Gynecomastia is the term used to describe male breasts. This condition is not simply due to weight gain as many men might assume. Instead, gynecomastia can begin in adolescence and continue to be a source of embarrassment for many years, even with a healthy diet and exercise regimen in place. Fortunately, male breast reduction surgery can help reduce the unwanted appearance of oversized male breasts.
You may be suffering from gynecomastia if you experience symptoms such as:
- Enlargement of the glandular tissues which results in the appearance of male breasts
- Distended nipples
- Discoloration of the nipples and areolas
- Sensitivity and discomfort in the chest area
There are many causes of gynecomastia and the condition may be affecting your body for any number of reasons including:
- Hormone changes and hormone imbalances, usually when more estrogen is produced than testosterone
- Use of anabolic steroids and other types of medications
- Being overweight or obese
- Sudden weight gain
Depending on your unique circumstances, you may benefit from gynecomastia surgery. The best way to determine if this treatment option is right for you is to contact an experienced plastic surgeon.
If you are suffering from gynecomastia and you feel embarassed about your condition, we are here to help you. Please call David A. Bottger, M.D. at (610) 355-4275 to schedule a free consultation today to discuss male breast reduction options. Our Pennsylvania gynecomastia surgeon can help you find the right treatment and can help you obtain the body that you have always desired.