Meet Dr. David Bottger
A highly respected plastic surgeon and Philadelphia native with over 20 years of experience, Dr. David A. Bottger performs a wide range of cosmetic plastic surgery procedures for the face, breasts, and body. He serves patients from the Philadelphia area, including Newtown Square and West Chester.
Dr. Bottger received his undergraduate degree from Princeton University. He then attended Temple University School of Medicine. Upon earning his Doctor of Medicine, Dr. Bottger completed a general surgery residency at the University of Cincinnati as well as a plastic surgery residency and hand surgery fellowship at the renowned Cleveland Clinic Foundation, where he acquired extensive experience in aesthetic and reconstructive procedures.
Dr. Bottger is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery — the only licensing committee recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties able to award certification to plastic surgeons. As a well-established cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Bottger is a member of multiple professional societies. Most notably, he is active in the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), the latter of which defines a select group of plastic surgeons who have the highest level of aesthetic surgical training and clinical experience. Dr. Bottger also serves on the surgical staffs at Bryn Mawr Hospital and The Crozer Health Surgery Center at Haverford.
If you are looking for a professional and skilled doctor, Dr. Bottger is the one! I cannot begin to express how wonderful he is. The staff at his office make the experience that much more enjoyable. Dr. Bottger really cares about you to ensure you get the results you want. He is patient and works with you to understand exactly what you want, not to mention does a beautiful job. I felt very comfortable with the whole procedure and knew I was in the best hands. I am so happy with my results and recommend to anyone!
Board Certifications and Professional Memberships
- Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
- The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
- Bryn Mawr Hospital
- The Crozer Health Surgery Center at Haverford
Top Doctor in Philadelphia Magazine
In addition to his board certification and professional memberships, Dr. Bottger is recognized annually by both local and national publications for his expertise in aesthetic plastic surgery. He is a consistent presence on the prestigious “Top Doctors” list compiled by Philadelphia magazine, which partners with Castle Connoly Ltd. — a national consumer research group — to recognize the most outstanding healthcare providers across Philadelphia County. Not only does inclusion in the “Top Doctors” index speak to a physician’s skill and level of care, it can also signify an unsullied record of patient safety and ethical treatment. Dr. Bottger has been named a Top Doctor by the local news outlet in the field of plastic surgery for many years, solidifying his reputation as one of the best plastic surgeons in the Philadelphia region.
What is a Plastic Surgeon?
A plastic surgeon is responsible for improving the function and appearance of different structures on the face, skin, and body. This surgical reconstruction is often performed for cosmetic purposes, but plastic surgeons also work to treat defects and restore form after burn injuries, trauma, and cancer treatment. As a highly complex branch of medicine, plastic surgery requires a high degree of hands-on training, education, and clinical experience to achieve the best possible outcomes. A number of techniques are used to yield a patient’s desired results, including tissue transfer, endoscopic surgery, and implant placement, among other methods. In addition to the practice requirements expected of general plastic surgeons, those who specialize in cosmetic procedures undergo additional training in the principles of aesthetic enhancement, such as facial rejuvenation, body contouring, and breast surgery.
Why is Board Certification Important for Plastic Surgeons?
Board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) is considered one of the highest benchmarks of experience that a plastic surgeon can achieve. To be awarded accreditation by the ABPS, a candidate must undertake a rigorous number of continuing education courses that exceed the minimum number required to practice plastic surgery. This advanced education — in addition to extensive clinical experience and completion of written and oral examinations — must be fulfilled in order to become board certified. In turn, board certification often communicates a higher level of proficiency performing cosmetic plastic surgery when compared to practitioners who are not accredited. Dr. Bottger’s ancillary training in aesthetic treatments like liposuction, abdominoplasty, and breast augmentation, among other procedures can give you the confidence of knowing your plastic surgeon is well-equipped to achieve your goals with first-rate results.
Checklist for Choosing a Top Plastic Surgeon
- Research a plastic surgeon’s experience performing aesthetic surgery. More often than not, a surgeon who has completed board certification and fellowship training is better equipped to achieve optimal outcomes when compared to a plastic surgeon who does not specialize in aesthetic procedures.
- Explore the before-and-after photos in a plastic surgeon’s patient gallery to determine whether the results displayed match what you envision for the ideal outcome of your surgery.
- Read online reviews to learn about a plastic surgeon’s reputation within their community and gain a sense of their ability to achieve high patient satisfaction.
- Make sure you feel comfortable under a plastic surgeon’s care by scheduling an initial consultation. This will allow you to visit the practice, assess the care provided by their office and medical team, and speak personally with your prospective surgeon about your needs, concerns, and overall goals.
- Never let a plastic surgeon pressure or rush you into making a decision about treatment. Your consultation should be an opportunity for you to ask about a surgeon’s experience, qualifications, and your procedure-of-interest so you can make a well-informed decision about your health and appearance.
What Sets Our Plastic Surgery Practice Apart?
Conveniently located in the Newtown Square township of Philadelphia, our aesthetic surgery practice offers a completely patient-focused experience before, during, and after surgery. All of our techniques and protocols are designed to ensure your surgical or non-surgical treatment is as easy, safe, and convenient as possible. These efforts are made to foster a pleasant and professional environment for you to achieve your cosmetic goals.
We believe keeping abreast of the latest innovations in plastic surgery allows our practice to achieve superior results and provide the least invasive, most efficient treatment possible. The technology utilized by Dr. Bottger and our medical team includes use of Crisalix® 3D imaging and Canfield’s MIRROR™ software, which can both simulate the potential results of your face, breast, or body procedure during the consultation process! This virtual “preview” can help you better articulate your aesthetic goals with Dr. Bottger, allow us to identify possible revisions to your treatment plan, and give you realistic expectations of the potential outcome of your surgery. As an ongoing member of national professional organizations like the ASPS and ASAPS, Dr. Bottger stays up-to-date on advancements in technique and technology within the field of cosmetic surgery.
Questions to Ask Your Plastic Surgeon
Once you begin the research of selecting the best plastic surgeon for your needs, scheduling a consultation can sometimes be the most intimidating part of the process. That said, your initial visit is an invaluable opportunity to learn more about your procedure-of-interest as well as a prospective surgeon’s level of experience. Dr. Bottger and our friendly medical team are available to answer any questions or concerns you may have about the treatment process. While your questions should, by no means, be limited to the list below, the following can be used as a resource to help guide your consultation:
- How long have you been performing cosmetic surgery?
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- Do you have hospital privileges?
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
- How frequently do you perform this procedure?
- Can I see before-and-after photos of previous patients’ results?
- What will the estimated cost be? Do you offer any financing options?
- Do you specialize in any plastic surgery procedures?
To discuss aesthetically enhancing plastic surgery procedures in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area, please contact Dr. David Bottger today! We are now conveniently located in Newtown Square.