The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has released the statistics regarding plastic surgery procedures performed during 2013. Overall, these figures show an increase in cosmetic and reconstructive procedures for the fourth year in a row. There were more than 15 million surgical and minimally invasive procedures performed during 2013, which constitutes a 3% increase from 2012.
Facial rejuvenation procedures, particularly non-surgical options, comprised a large portion of the treatments provided. There were 13.4 million non-surgical procedures performed in 2013. The most common were:
- BOTOX® Cosmetic -- 6.3 million procedures (up 3% from 2012)
- Dermal fillers -- 2.2 million procedures (up 13% from 2012)
- Chemical peels -- 1.2 million procedures (up 3% from 2012)
More than 1.7 million plastic surgery procedures were performed on patients last year. The most common included:
- Breast augmentation -- 290,000 procedures (up 1% from 2012)
- Rhinoplasty (nose surgery) -- 221,000 procedures (down 9% from 2012)
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) -- 216,000 procedures (up 6% from 2012)
- Liposuction -- 200,000 procedures (down 1% from 2012)
- Facelifts -- 133,000 procedures (up 6% from 2012)
There was a significant increase in buttock augmentation and neck lift procedures last year. Buttock augmentation experienced a 16% increase from 2012, while neck lifts experienced a 6% increase.
Silicone breast implants continued to enjoy a surge in popularity in 2013. They were used in 72% of all breast augmentation procedures. The use of silicone implants has steadily risen in recent years, most likely due to their more natural look and feel compared with saline breast implants.
With improved techniques and technology, you have more plastic surgery options than ever before. Dr. David Bottger is always available to discuss your options with you during a consultation at our Philadelphia plastic surgery office. He will work with you to develop a cosmetic treatment plan that will help you look and feel your very best.
If you are interested in plastic surgery, please contact Dr. David Bottger today. We serve patients in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area.