After your breast augmentation, you might be tempted to think that you don't need a bra, but it is important to continue wearing a well-fitting and supportive bra to ensure the longevity of your great breast augmentation results. According to a study (by a British bra retailer), as many as 4 out of 5 women are not wearing the right size bra. There are several different ways to measure your band cup size, each recommended by a different bra manufacturer, often targeted to the way they construct their bras. To ensure you get the best bra for your new breasts, we recommend a professional bra fitting. And don't forget, the essential bra wardrobe is not just one bra, but includes the following to ensure your breasts look their best in every situation:
- Everyday bra is a comfortable, functional supportive bra. It's often good to have three so you can rotate them as necessary for cleaning. Replace them regularly as the elastic wears out.
- Push up bra can help you maximize your cleavage. It's less necessary now than before your breast augmentation, but you will likely want one for some days and outfits.
- Minimizer bra is something you may never have needed before. Most days you will be ecstatic with your new breasts, but other days your outfit may call for a little less, especially button-up shirts that can gap and pull at the bustline. When you have this problem, call on the minimize.
- Sports bra is an essential if you do any kind of exercise. The repetitive motion of exercise can put a terrible strain on breasts, so you need a well-fitting and supportive sports bra to maintain the quality of your results. Remember to replace these regularly as the elastic wears out.
- Convertible bra is a good substitute for most people who have no need for a full-time dedicated strapless bra. Instead, a convertible bra can be used for many different styles of outfits, including strapless gowns.
Once you've got the basics down, you may want to consider a few special-occasion bras that you can put on to complement any outfit or mood. Some options include:
- Demi cup bra exposes more of the top of the breast, so you don't have to worry about wearing square-neck, scoop neck, or other low-cut tops
- Lacy bra can be many different styles, but if you want to have a go-to for days when you are feeling blah or unfeminine, keep this one for special occasions, not your everyday bra.
- Shelf bra is not for everyone, but if you are looking for the ideal bra to "debut" your breast augmentation results, this may be the right choice
- Backless bra has a specially-engineered support system with a very low back for low or backless formal wear
Getting the right bras after your breast augmentation will not only help your results last, they will help you enjoy the quality of your results and the attention they inspire. To learn more about how to appreciate or enjoy your breast augmentation results in Philadelphia, please call or email board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. David A. Bottger to schedule a consultation.